In the U.S., American football commands the largest piece of the sports betting pie. It attracts more action than any other sport. Elsewhere, soccer takes center stage. It is arguably the most popular sport throughout the world, which is the reason the best soccer sportsbooks attract so much action.
We’ll help you get started with soccer betting below. You’ll learn about the most common types of bets you can make along with a few wagers you may not find at every online sportsbetting site. We’ll also share a few tips that will improve your betting odds when placing wagers at the best soccer sportsbooks.
Types Of Soccer Bets You Can Make Online
Most of the wagers you can place on soccer matches follow the moneyline, similar to betting on baseball, basketball, hockey, and other events. The moneyline reflects which team is favored and which is considered the underdog. It also reflects the odds for any given game. The one difference in betting on soccer matches is that you can also bet on a draw. Thus, a typical line for an MLS tourney might look like the following:
New England Revolution: -220
D.C. United: +310
This means the Revolution is favored and D.C. United is the underdog. Given the odds for this match, you’ll need to bet $22 on the Revolution in order to have a chance to win $10. Or, you can wager $10 on D.C. United to win $31.
The line on a draw works in the same manner. You’ll need to bet $10 in order to win $18 (assuming the teams tie). If you wager on one of the teams, and the tournament ends in a draw, you’ll lose your bet.
You’ll also be able to place totals (also called over/unders). These are wagers on whether the total number of points scored by both teams during a match is over or under a posted number. The number typically used is 2.5. This means that wagering on an over requires the teams’ combined score must be three or greater in order to win.
The best soccer sports betting sites also allow you to make proposition bets. These wagers fall within a wide range of options. For example, you’ll be able to bet on the team that scores first, the score after ninety minutes, and which player makes the first or last goal of the match. The type of prop bets you can make will depend on the sportsbook (see our list of recommendations for the best soccer sportsbooks).
Tips For Betting Successfully At The Best Soccer Sportsbooks
In addition to careful money management, there are a few tips you can rely upon to give you an edge over other sports bettors. Most of these suggestions require research. The more you know about the teams playing a given match, the better your chances of placing a winning bet.
- Check the past performances of the teams when they have played matches at home and away. Some clubs suffer when playing in venues other than their own.
- Make sure you’re aware of which players are injured. If a key member of a team is going to be off the field, the team’s performance may be lackluster.
- Note whether a given club has built momentum during the last leg of the season. This might mean they’re inspired and driven, both of which can push them to victory against stronger competitors.
- Look at the matches that both teams have played during the past week. One club may be suffering from fatigue, especially if they have been on the road all week.
Of course, these tips do not guarantee you’ll win most of your bets. The key is gaining an edge, and carving out your profit from a consistent string of well-placed wagers.
Best Online Soccer Sportsbooks
To a certain extent, sports betting is a personal experience. We may prefer features that you could live without. We might enjoy perks and promotions that are less important to you. It is with this perspective that the following list of the best online soccer sportsbooks was compiled. The goal is not to point you to dozens of “good” sites. It’s to share a few of the best according to our preferences. Chances are, you’ll enjoy many of the same features we do.
- Bodog Sportsbook – Bodog has consistently delivered a top-notch sports betting experience. They maintain easy-to-use software that was designed, in part, according to feedback from their members. They also host a large list of sports on which you can bet. In addition to the most popular events, you’ll find cricket, rugby, MMA, and even darts. Bodog also offers live betting (called BodogLIVE) where you can wager on the minute-by-minute action as it occurs. Visit Bodog and use promo code “130347” to lock in an unlimited, instant 10% match on your first deposit. Be sure to read our articles specifically on Bodog Sportsbook.
We recommend that you register accounts at each of the betting sites above. That way, you’ll be able to compare odds for any given match across some of the best soccer sportbooks online.